Saturday, May 15, 2010

Day 60 – A Note of Sadness

I received some very bad news a few days ago. A dear friend died unexpectedly back in Michigan. It was a shock to everyone, of course, but none more than her husband. He called to let me know and I immediately told him my wife and I would be heading back to stand by his side. Unfortunately that was before I knew when the funeral would be. It was also before I checked the airline schedules.

The funeral, I found out a few hours later, was in two days, not much time to make arrangements, but I tried. Not to make excuses, but it is a long trip back to Grand Rapids from Tucson. There is at least one stop, sometimes two, and with the three-hour time difference, the trip pretty much consumes an entire day. The soonest we could have gotten in to GR was late Thursday night. Her funeral was Friday morning.

That, of course, assumes there were seats available. Have you tried to book a flight that leaves the next day? There aren't that many flights any more. I couldn't find us a flight. So, with a heavy heart, I had to break my promise to a dear friend.

I still feel bad about that. Almost as bad as I feel over the loss of his wife and our friend. I couldn't be there for him. Others did, but not us. Time and distance waits for no one and we have to live with that.

I'm so sorry, Denny. For your loss and for breaking a promise. I wanted to be supportive. Instead I violated a trust. I hope someday you will understand and forgive us.

Tomorrow we're going to drive north to Phoenix where a monument business we know is located. We're going to have a large piece of slate engraved with a heartfelt sentiment to give to our friend, a remembrance that he can keep with him from those who loved him and his wife, gone from this world far too soon. It won't make up for our absence, but perhaps one day it will provide the comfort we couldn't give to him on a day when he needed it.

Obviously I don't feel much like celebrating or writing about beer, so I'll close for now. Life does and will go on, but I need a few days.

In loving memory of Norma Taylor.

Goal...............524.....365
Progress.........114.......60
Remaining.....410.....305

No comments:

Post a Comment