Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Day 56 – Week Eight...Doing Great.

Today is another milestone of sorts. The end of Week Eight. Day Fifty Six. 105 beers down. Another couple of weeks and I'll be under 400 and 300, respectively. Cool beans.

By the way, tomorrow it's only supposed to reach 78 degrees here in Tucson. In Michigan, I would have been cheering. In Arizona, that seems cool to me somehow. Slowly but surely I'm becoming a Tucsonan. I'm so proud.

Since I last wrote, I haven't had any really good beers. Total Wine had the last of the seasonals (as in...brrrr...winter) on sale, so I bought a bunch. The Winter Bock from Gordon Biersch wasn't bad, but the Powder Hound Winter Ale from Big Sky Brewing was, well, more like Easter...HOPPY! I was able to choke it down, but barely.

I had a Fireside Nut Brown Ale from Leinenkugal's (out your way, Derek!) that was decent - a bit too much maple for me - but the Trout Slayer Wheat Ale from Big Sky Brewing was pretty bitter. Hmmm....I'm detecting a trend here. I can understand the English Strong Ale (Powder Hound) being hoppy, but the wheat ale? C'mon, give the hops a break when it comes to the wheat stuff!

Fortunately, I'm nearing the end of the winter stuff and will soon move on to the imports. Call me a traitor, but I'm finding the imports to land more often in my wheel house. Not that American Micro Brews don't make some good stuff... they do...but a number of breweries here think that if some hops are good, a boat load is better. The imports tend to be more balanced, which is more to my liking.

Of course, when I say imports, I'm referring to crafted brews from Belgium and Germany. I haven't tried anything from, say, Poland or Upper Volta. You know, the places not exactly known for their beer heritage. Still, eventually I'm going to have to try some of that. Just as soon as I run out of brands from countries I trust.

Op uw gezondheid! That's Flemish for, well, supposedly Cheers, but who knows? It almost looks like something you'd say when someone sneezes. Even so, that works.

Goal...............524.....365
Progress.........105.......56
Remaining......419.....309

No comments:

Post a Comment