Thursday, April 15, 2010

Day 30 – Gettin' Stronger Every Day

Back in the 70's, that was one of my favorite songs...

Why yes, I was only three...how did you know?

Alright, back to the subject. I have lamented ad nauseum about how low my ratings have been for weeks now. Five days ago, I thought I had hit upon the reason and vowed to change. The results?

Drum roll, please.

3.1 over the past five days versus 2.73 for the first 25 days. My overall average is now up to 2.8. I'm getting better every day.

I don't think it is all due to how I was scoring the beer, however. That was part of it, but my beer selection also played a role as well. I didn't have any restrictions when I first started, so my share of beers in styles I did not favor played a role, too. I had a few IPA's and some other hoppy styles that led to some pretty low scores. When balanced against the ones I liked, the limited range in scoring balanced everything out.

I'm more selective now at TW (Total Wine, for the uninitiated, the fabulous store where I get all my beer). The latest batch is loaded with wheat beers and ales of all sorts with nary a hoppy attitude present. Oh, and no fruit beers, either. I thought I liked those because I had such a good experience with Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, but the ones I've tried since have not measured up. I'm taking a sabbatical from them for a while. No, they aren't hoppy at all. They're sweet, which is just as bad. I need balance.

So, between being more liberal in my scoring of beers I like and selecting more of the styles I like, I'm confident my scoring average will rise.

True story...at work we have a series of internal company initiatives to revitalize specific areas of business. I'm on one team and we are hosting a contest to get employees engaged. They have to answer three questions correctly to be eligible to win.

What are the three questions?

Well, we haven't decided yet, but I flashed back to a Monty Python movie where three questions were asked of wacky knights attempting to cross the Bridge of Death. Answer the troll correctly and the knight would be allowed to pass safely. Answer incorrectly, however...

The three questions were:

1. What is your name?
2. What is your quest?
3. What is the airspeed velocity of an unladened swallow?

It brought a smile to my face for quite some time. I just don't know if people would get the joke if I suggested these questions. After all, that movie was made in the 70's when I was three.

Okay, the last two days I've only tried two beers. The first...yuck...a fruit beer from Abita called Purple Haze. Jimmy Hendrix would sue them if he were alive today. Not good stuff. The second was a pretty good Belgian White from New Belgium Brewing called Mothership Wit (short for witbier, another name for Belgian Whites). That one made my day. It even topped my Monty Python recollection.

Oh, by the way, I passed the 10% milestone in beers (52.4) far in advance of the same milestone in days (36.5) by about a week.

Prost!

Goal...............524.....365
Progress...........53.......30
Remaining.......471.....335

No comments:

Post a Comment