Sunday, September 19, 2010

Day 187 – Roll Out the Barrel!

Well, two more milestones bite the dust. I passed the halfway mark in days (182.5) and the 300 mark in beers tasted. When I achieved the latter today, I was rewarded with a video of a guy playing a medley of songs on an accordion that included Beer Barrel Polka and Roll Out the Barrel. Cute, cute, cute.

I have to admit that I'm glad I decided to record the beers I've tasted on Ratebeer.com instead of just in an Excel spreadsheet (I do both). Marking my progress against other raters and being rewarded with silly videos makes it pretty cool. The stats I get from the site are pretty neat as well.

Out of 3420 people who have rated 100 beers or more (uh, uh...99 or less doesn't count), I am 1765th on the list. I'm nearly in the upper half of the 100-beer club. Pretty cool, huh?

The most beer styles I have tasted are amber ales (27). My favorite styles, though, are German Hefeweizen (3.42), Brown Ale (3.29), and Belgian White (3.26). My least favorite are IPAs (0.95...yuck!), Low Alcohol (1.3), and Double IPA (1.6). Whoa, big surprise there, huh?

The most from one country was the US, naturally (127). Out of the US, the most from a single state was California (45) and Colorado (42). Massachusetts had the highest rated US beers at 3.17. I have also tasted more beers from Boston Beer Company (aka Sam Adams) than any other brewer. Belgium, however, had the highest rated beers of all at 3.37. The Netherlands was the worst at 1.77 (yuck!).

Since my last blog, some noteworthy brews you may want to try include Delirium Nocturnum (Belgian Strong Ale), Sam Adams Octoberfest (Marzen), Rogue HazelNut Brown Nectar (Brown Ale), St Peters Old Style Porter, and Bells Kalamazoo Stout.

Since my last blog, some beers to avoid even if you are dying of thirst in the desert include anything from Flensburger and Redemption Red Ale from Reaper Ales (as bitter as my ex-wife).

I'm still more than 3 weeks ahead of schedule and have lots of beer still to taste, so I'm feeling pretty good right now. I am confident I will make it all the way to the end, which is a good place to be at the halfway point. My marathon is still going smooth and well.

Life is good and so is beer!

"Sant Hilari, Sant Hilari, fill de puta qui no se l'acabi" which is Catalan for "Son of a bitch the one that does not finish the cup." Supposedly that is considered vulgar over there in Spain, but it sounds reasonable to me.

Goal...............524.....365
Progress.........301.....187
Remaining......223.....178

No comments:

Post a Comment